The Omega J8006 Juicer is currently rated a #1 best seller on Amazon. After reading this juicer review you will know why!
Juicing vegetables and fruits is becoming increasingly popular as more and more people seek a healthy lifestyle. Given that there are so many juicers out on the market today, finding the best juicer machine for you can be a daunting task. In this review, you will find everything you need to know about the Omega J8006 Masticating Juicer.
But, what is a masticating Juicer? Well, out there in the market, juicers fall into two categories; masticating juicers or centrifugal juicers. You need to know the difference between the two. This way, you will know the right one for you when you delve into the market. So, what’s their difference?
Please continue reading if you want to know all the ins and outs of the top rated juicer on Amazon. You can always click on one of the links in the table of contents below if you want to skip to a section that is most interesting for you.[toc]
What is the Difference Between a Centrifugal Juicer vs. Masticating Juicer?
When the word centrifugal is mentioned, the idea of spinning comes into mind. Centrifugal juicers operate by spinning the pulp around using centrifugal force to extract juice.
Once you introduce the vegetables in a centrifugal juicer, they are met by razor sharp teeth on the floor of a mesh chamber. Here, they are shredded into pulp and then the juicer separates the juice from the rest of the fruit by spinning the mixture at high speeds. The pulp is collected in a collection chamber while the juice is collected in the spigot.
Centrifugal juicers are more common than masticating juicers. This can be due to the fact that they are cheap and widely advertised. With just $40, you can obtain one; however, some range well over $250.
My personal favorite centrifugal juicer is the Breville Juice Fountain Elite. You can click here for my review of that juicer machine.
Masticating is a subtle synonym for crushing; therefore, a masticating juicer is a crushing juicer. The Omega J8600 also comes integrated with an auger. Augers “chew”. Both of these processes are known for extracting more juice and retaining more nutrients than centrifugal juicers.
Masticating juicers are also known as cold press juicers. They tend to be more expensive than centrifugal juicers. With some going for more than $500, they are worth the extra dollars as they last longer and extract more nutrients.
How Does A Masticating Juicer Work?
Masticating juicers like the Omega J8006 Masticating Juicer are horizontal in design. At the top of the tube is where you feed your vegetables, fruits or food pieces. They are then squeezed slowly and the juice exits at the bottom as the pulp exits through the end.
A masticating juicer extracts juice from the fruits and vegetables slower than their centrifugal counterparts. It, therefore, extracts more juice, more nutrients, and its juice tends to last longer.
In centrifugal juicers, the high-speed spinning amplifies the oxidation effect reducing the shelf life of extracted juice. It is, however, advisable to drink the juice as soon as possible as letting it sit introduces oxygen and thus starts the oxidation process of the micronutrients. While juice from a masticating juicer lasts longer you will get the most benefit if you drink it immediately before this process occurs.
What are the Features and Specifications of Omega J8006 Masticating Juicer?
Dimensions and Weight
The Omega J8006 Juicer measures 6.5 inches in width by 14.5 inches in depth and 15.5 inches in height. It weighs a total of 18.2 lbs.
The Omega J8006 Juicer is rated at 150 Watts, 2 HP, 80 RPMs with a voltage of 220/50/1, 120/60/1, 220/60/1.
Omega J8006 Masticating Juicer operates through a two stage juicing mechanism. The fruits and vegetables are crushed into small pieces to increase the surface area for juice extraction. They are then pressed to separate the juice from the pulp. This crush-press extraction method is very effective and produces a high juice yield.
Slow Speed Juicer
Omega J8006 Masticating Juicer operates at only 80 revolutions per minute (RPMs). This ensures that as juicing takes place, there is no foam formation, no clogging and no build-up of heat. The slow juicing process also ensures minimum oxidation. Less oxidation, less foam, and less heat mean increased shelf life of the obtained juice; normally juice produced by Omega J8006 masticating juicer can last up to 72 hours.
When it comes to power, Omega J8006 Masticating Juicer is unparalleled. It is equipped with a GE Ultem Auger which is of high power. Its gear reduction power can be equated to that of a 2HP motor. This means that this juicer can crush almost any kind of produce thrown its way.
You can now juice without pausing until you get enough, thanks to the auto pulp ejection feature. This will save you time.
The Pros: What People Like About Omega J8006 Masticating Juicer
Well, they say that the numbers do not lie. It’s therefore, worth noting that Omega J8006 Masticating Juicer is ranked as a number one amazon best-selling masticating juicer.
Well, everything about this juicer seems to be a merit. Below are some of the qualities that people really like about this juicer;
The only reason why one buys a juicer is to obtain excellent tasting juice with a lot of nutrients and vitamins. With Omega J8006 Masticating Juicer, this is exactly what you get topped with a longer shelf life.
Highly Efficient and Economical
The crush and press extraction method is highly efficient. It extracts the very last drop of juice from the fruits or vegetables. The pulp comes out extremely dry. You, therefore, need fewer fruits to produce the same amount of juice as opposed to centrifugal juicers.
Flexible and Multi-functional
You can do a lot more with Omega J8006 Masticating Juicer other than extract juice, thanks to its versatility.
This is a fantastic juicer to make nut butters. Many people use it to make homemade soymilk. You can also use Omega J8006 as a food processor to chop and mince baby food, garlic, peppers or other foods.
The Omega J8006 is not the type of juicer that you replace every year; it is specially made to last long. With proper care, this juicer can last a whole twenty years.
Silence is golden; let’s face the truth, centrifugal juicers produce irritating noise once turned on. However, the Omega J8006 is quiet. In fact, the smooth sound it produces has a relaxing effect. As a mom of three boys, I know I like to minimize noise as much as possible!
It comes in many colors.
Instead of just plain silver, you can choose from a variety of cool colors including:
- aqua blue
- grape purple
- silver – shown above
How Easy is this Juicer to Assemble?
You can assemble this juicer very easily.
- To start you connect the drum to the housing by turning a locking clip clockwise. After you do that the funnel goes onto the top of the drum.
- If you want to juice you need to put the auger into the drum and then the juicing screen into that. After that task is complete you need to place the end cap onto the drum and turn it until it clicks firmly into place.
- If you want to mince you first put the auger into the drum and then insert the blank into that. To make sure it is firmly in place you need to turn the end cap clockwise until it clicks.
- After you complete #2 or #3 you must put the juice and waste bowls under the drum set.
- Plug the power cord in last. This is the safest way to handle the machine when you put it together.
Does the Omega J8006 Have an Auger In It?
Yes. The Omega J8006 Juicer is a single auger juicer. Essentially the auger “chews” up the produce. Single gear juicers are very efficient and since they process the juice very slowly they extract more enzymes, trace minerals, vitamins, and fiber.
What is the Warranty on the Omega J8006?
Omega J8006 Masticating Juicer comes with a 15 year warranty period. Therefore, you will have peace of mind when buying or using it. In fact, this is one of the best warranties on the market.
What are Some Recipes that I Can Make in This Omega Juicer?
The possibilities for great tasting and healthy food are almost endless. Here are a few ideas.
- Juice 5 or 6 handfuls of wheatgrass. Add this to your diet slowly as too much too soon can make you nauseous. Try only about 1 ounce per day and increase your intake slowly. If you want to soften the taste try juicing it with 5 or 6 carrots.
- Try juicing about 4 or 5 carrots with a handful of parsley. Juice the parsley followed by the carrots.
- Freeze 2 to 3 peeled bananas and about 1/2 cup of any kind of berries in the freezer over night. Run it through the machine to make a delicious frozen dessert.
- You can take any kind of fruit or vegetable that you like and make it into baby food for your little one. You could do this with cooked potatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, and just about anything you can think of.
- Want fresh salsa? You can make it with the following ingredients: 1 1/2 cups of tomatoes, 1/4 cup red onions, 1 tbsp. garlic, 1 tbsp. jalapeno, 1 to 2 tbsp of cilantro, the juice of 2 limes, and salt and pepper to taste. Process the first five ingredients first. Drain any excess liquid and then add the lime and salt and pepper to taste.
What Can the Omega J8006 do Besides Juicing?
All of us want to be able to multi-task to make our lives more efficient and easy. The Omega is also one of the best-rated juicers as it can perform other tasks besides juicing.
- You can make fresh linguini, breadsticks, and homemade spaghetti in just a matter of minutes. To make pasta, for example, you use the blank attachment with the desired nozzle to create the shape of pasta you want. Adding basil, sun dried tomato or another flavor to the dough will make your pasta taste fantastic.
- You can chop and mince a variety of fresh whole foods including red pepper, ginger, scallions, garlic, and herbs and seasoning. For mincing and chopping, you use the blank cone with the round or oval hole attachment to create a “food processor” out of your Omega machine. You can also grind meat or fish.
- It comes with a homogenizer attachment so you can make baby food, nut butter, and fresh frozen desserts for your family to enjoy. These foods are also easy to make in your Omega J800 by using the blank cone. You can use the nozzle if you want to, but it is not necessary. Here are some helpful hints:
- You can make all natural nut butters with peanuts, almonds, or any other kind of nut desired. Most of these will require you to add some oil to improve the consistency. Make sure you use unsalted nuts. Use about 2 to 3 cups of nuts, peanut oil or another kind of oil to make the desired consistency, and salt if desired. It is better to add salt after you make the butter then to start with salted nuts.
- Make sure you remove the shells and skins of the nuts. To remove nut skin soak them overnight. After a night of soaking the skins are easy to remove.
- You can freeze fruit and then run them through the machine to make fruit sorbets.
- You can also freeze juice you made beforehand and also run that through the machine to make a frozen treat.
- When making frozen treats you can also add milk, syrup, yogurt or sugar to change the consistency or flavor of your desserts.
- You can grind flour and coffee beans. To use this feature all you have to do is use the “blank” cone without the nozzle. Keep adding beans or wheat little by little at a slow and steady pace. Do not add too much at one time and allow the grinds or flour to come out before adding more. If you are grinding coffee and the beans are oily, set them out to dry the night before to dry them out a bit.
What are Some Fresh Green Juices That I Can Make?
The sky’s the limit when it comes to making fresh green juices. There are so many green juice recipes available online that you will be busy trying new combinations for months to come. Here are a few of my favorite green juice recipes.
- This is the photo above. 2 lemons, 2 apples, 1 medium cucumber, 1 inch of fresh ginger, 1 inch of fresh turmeric, and 1 bunch of kale. This recipe is enough for two people.
- 2 green apples, 4 stalks of celery, 1 medium cucumber, 6 kale leaves, 1/2 lemon, 1, 1-inch fresh piece of ginger.
- 4 handfuls of spinach, 2 cucumbers, 4 small apples.
- 1 cucumber, 1 granny smith apple, 1 cup pineapple, 3 kale leaves, 1 handful of mint, 1/2 lemon.
- 1 head of celery, 1 cucumber, 3-4 apples, 3 swiss chard leaves, 6 dinosaur kale leaves, 4-6 red Russian kale leaves, 1/2 bunch of parsley, 1 lemon, 1, 1-inch piece of ginger, and 1, 1-inch piece of turmeric.
Here are some of the benefits of the ingredients above:
- Kale will provide you lots of fiber without the calories. It is high in iron, vitamin K and antioxidants to name a few. It is also high in vitamin A, C, and calcium. Many people like to include it in their green drinks to encourage detoxing.
- Spinach is a super food and that’s why Popeye loved eating it! Like its friend kale, it is full of antioxidants. Research shows it prevents cancer, asthma, and also lowers blood pressure.
- Add apples to your green drink for a little bit of sweetness without all of the sugar. They too are rich in fiber and may help reduce the chance of getting diabetes, heart disease, and cancer.
- Most people do not think of celery having much nutrition. It is surprising to hear that it is an excellent source of enzymes and antioxidants. It also contains vitamin K, potassium, folate, vitamin B6, and vitamin C.
- I love lemons and I include them in almost all of my green juices as they cut the taste of the kale. Lemons boost your immune system, they lower your risk of stroke, and they are beneficial to your skin.
- Pineapple contains so many healthy nutrients including B6, folate, beta carotene, thiamin, copper, potassium, magnesium, fiber, and more.
- Ginger helps with many kinds of physical discomfort including indigestion and nausea. Ayurvedic medicine has long praised it for improving the immune system. It is also antibacterial.
- Many call turmeric the “Queen of Spices”. When you eat it raw and juice your body can absorb it. When you add turmeric to your diet in the form of dried powder the body can more easily absorb it when it is mixed with pepper. Turmeric helps prevent cancer, relieve arthritis, control diabetes, reduce cholesterol, boost the immune system, and more!
- Mint certainly smells good and it helps digestion too. Many people drink mint tea after a meal for this reason. It is also great to fight nausea and headaches.
- Parsley helps flush out excess fluid which is great if you are juicing to lose weight. You will find that it has many vitamins including A, K, B12, C, and more.
- Cucumber hydrates the body. When you are super hot it helps fight heat, it aids in weight loss, it is good for your eyesight, and it great for your skin.
As you see the recipes are endless and this juicer will get you on the road to total health! (Please do not construe this information as medical advice. Consult your doctor.)
What Do I Need to Do to Make Pasta or Breadsticks?
- First, you need to open the end cap and take out the juicing screen and replace it with a blank.
- Then you need to choose the specific nozzle for the shape you want to make. The machine comes with a nozzle to make round noodles, flat noodles or bread sticks.
- You also want to sprinkle a little bit of flour on the holding dish to prevent sticking.
- Turn the machine on and push the pasta dough or the breadstick dough through the food guide without stopping. If you stop you will create a new piece.
- Use your scissors to cut the pasta or the breadstick to the length you desire.
- Cook the pasta as desired. Remember that fresh pasta takes less time to cook than dried pasta.
Here is a homemade pasta recipe to get you started.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of semolina flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Sift together the dry ingredients.
- Lightly flour a clean surface. Take the dry ingredients and make a mound. Make a deep hole in the center. Break the eggs into the well and add the olive oil. Mix it all together gently with a fork.
- When this becomes too difficult use your hands and knead it together. You should knead the dough until it is smooth and supple. You can keep dusting the dough with semolina to prevent stickiness.
- Wrap the dough up tightly in plastic wrap. Let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Feed the dough into the machine to make the pasta.
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Add a dash of salt. Cook the pasta until it is tender. The thicker the pasta the longer it will take. To avoid overcooking, check on the pasta after only 2 minutes.
What are the Cons of the Omega J8006?
Some people complain that the chute is too narrow.
You will have to do some chopping before you add your vegetables to the Omega J8006 juicer. Unlike centrifugal juicers which have wide chutes, the Omega J8006 has a narrow chute. If you don’t like chopping then you might want to consider a centrifugal juicer like the Breville Juice Fountain Elite.
There are some reviewers that think it is complex to clean.
The several features of Omega J8006 Juicer mean that it can be a bit challenging to disassemble to clean and then re-assemble. Some people think it is expensive. However, once you start researching the best rated juicers you will find that its price tag along with its features is hard to beat.
The Omega J8006 Juicer is best for those who look to extract juice on a regular basis. With a little guidance, however, cleaning the Omega J8006 Juicer is completely possible even for newbies.
What is the final verdict?
I hope this review will help you decide if the Omega J8006 is the best juicer to buy for your family.
If you are looking for the best masticating juicer, Omega J8006 Juicer is definitely the one. Its several pros are the reason why it is the most coveted masticating juice out there. It is also well priced for a juicer that helps you create and enjoy a high-quality juice.
If you are still trying to decide which masticating juicer you want to buy here is a link to several others that I have reviewed.